Journaling can be a great way for children to practice writing and recording their thoughts and feelings. The skills learned are essential to building a solid educational foundation and helping kids navigate anxiety, fear, and uncertainty through emotional intelligence. Keep your child’s pen and mind active with these 30 journal prompts that instill resiliency, hope, kindness, a growth mindset, and self-awareness.
1. Who is one person that you look up to and why?
2. If you could spend one day doing anything you want, what would you do?
3. What is your favorite memory? Write down as many details as you can remember.
4. What’s one goal or challenge you have for yourself this week? How will you accomplish it?
5. Think about one person who makes you feel loved. How does he or she show you care?
6. Write about something you’ve achieved and explain why you’re proud of that accomplishment.
7. What do you think would be the coolest job to have? Why?
8. Look out of your window. What do you see?
9. What would you say to someone you miss if he or she were next to you right now?
10. What do you love about your family?
11. Think about a talent you wish you had. What’s one way you can start practicing it?
12. Which is better, winter or summer? Write about the reasons why you think winter or summer is better.
13. If you had $10,000, what would you buy and why?
14. Write about 3 places you would like to travel someday. What do these three places have in common? How are they different?
15. Your pet is in charge of you for a day. What would your pet make you do?
16. Which character from a book would you most like to meet and why?
17. Describe the perfect day. Put in as many details as you can. Make it a possible day, not a "dream day."
18. Write about what you think you will be like and what you will be doing 10 years or 20 years from now.
19. What was it like to spend your first night away from home?
20. Did you ever win or lose a contest? Tell the story about what happened.
21. Imagine you are an animal in the zoo. What type of animal are you? How do you feel about being caged? How do you feel about people who visit and watch you?
22. Write about the funniest thing that ever happened to you.
23. What would you pack in your suitcase if you could not go home again?
24. It started out as an unusual Monday morning, when I...
25. Do you think you are treated differently because you are a boy or girl?
26. Write a short biography of your mother or father.
27. What makes you proud to be an American?
28. What subject do you enjoy learning about the most and why?
29. The saying goes, "Money cannot buy happiness." Do you agree or disagree? Why?
30. What is your definition of success?